There was a time in my life when I used to fall sick every fall & winter.
My Immune system was super weak – for a myriad of reasons. But that’s a story for another time.
Since then, I turned my whole life around and adapted new habits and techniques to stay fit during these colder times.
One of them is golden milk, which I love so much, I quit drinking coffee altogether and replaced it with golden milk.
Here’s a short overview of the benefits of golden milk:
- warming (in terms of Ayurveda)
- aids the digestion by enhancing production of stomach acid
- aids the gut flora with its soothing oils
The traditional Ayurvedic recipe contains cow milk and ghee, which is made from butter. The Ayurvedic diet suggests a vegetarian diet, however, this is a suggestion based on the assumption that vegetarian animal products have been produced in a respectful manner towards the animal – which is in 99,9% not the case with any supermarket product you can buy in the western world.
So, I’m sparing you the rotten details on animal factories, and present to you the all-plantbased version of this recipe.
You will need:
- 1-2 cups of plant milk ( I prefer rice or almond milk the best )
- 1 teaspoon of dried tumeric (if you can get your hands on fresh turmeric, use this, but beware when mincing it, it will dye everything yellow)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried ginger (also, feel free ti use fresh ginger & mince it.)
- a pinch of black pepper
- Heat the plantmilk on the oven, keep an eye on it so it won’t boil over.
- add in the coconut oil & let it melt fully
- add in the spices
- stir & let it heat up
- pour into your favorite mug
Voilá, there you have it. Super easy and so soothing for your entire system
If you fancy it, you can go and sweeten it with some agave syrup or maple syrup.
Have you tried this recipe?
Did you like it?
What do you use to stay fit during winter?
Leave me a comment below!